Join the OpenCape Team
Part Time Outside Fiber Plant Technician
- Posted 2/8/2018
OpenCape, a growing nonprofit organization that owns and operates the fiber optic network within Southeastern MA and Cape Cod & the Islands, is seeking a Part-Time Outside Fiber Plant Technician to join the OpenCape Team. This position will assist the Construction Inspector/Engineer with engineering buildouts from our Network fiber to new customers, supervising and coordinating contractors and responds to pole maintenance issues. OpenCape is located in Barnstable Village and the position reports to the main office.
Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Assist Construction Engineer with Engineering Build outs with contractors for new customers and pole maintenance needs issued by Dept of Transportation and pole owners.
- Prepares the back-up material, maps, contacts, data and any other client based materials needed by contractors to advance and complete their work.
- Receives, validates, organizes and controls documentation of the final constructed system from contractors.
- Inspects materials used by the contractor to ensure that quantities and qualities are in conformance with specifications.
- Determine solutions for any issues preventing the service from operating optimally.
- Adhere to internal fiber standards and established procedures, and maintain documentation as required.
- Develop and provide reports on conditions found, take photos, document discrepancies and recommend fix-actions where applicable.
- Read and interpret construction prints.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree, Bachelor Degree, or Technical training in electronics or computers strongly preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required.
- Design or Construction experience and understanding of outside plant construction technique
- Knowledge of Fiber Optic buried, aerial and UG cable facilities required. Knowledge of Cable Splicing, Cable Maintenance, OSP Fiber/Copper Cable placement preferred.
- Demonstrated focus on accuracy and high attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within the agreed upon time frames. Requires a variety of physical skills, ability to lift heavy equipment, climb, and crawl into small spaces, when needed.
- Able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests as well as collaborate with others to utilize resources and knowledge in identifying effective solutions.
- Industry technical skills and understanding of computer network operations required in addition to solid experience with the following software: Google Earth, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office, Google Apps for Business, various GIS/mapping applications. Strong technical experience will be highly considered.
- Position applicants must demonstrate their proven skills in project management and written, verbal, and interpersonal communications. High level of customer service skills required.
COMPENSATION: Part-time 20-25 hours @ $28/hr.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Immediate reply requested; applications to be reviewed upon receipt.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit letter of application, with email address, including a statement addressing the specific qualifications and resume, to:
Electronic copies are preferred and should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hard copies may be sent to:
PO Box 1148
Barnstable, MA 02630
Please visit our website at www.opencape.org for information about the OpenCape project.